Does a handyman need insurance if he works on my house?

A common question is does a handyman need insurance if he works on my house? If you hire a handyman, it’s important that he has his own insurance and there are a few reasons why.

When you hire a handyman to do work for your home, you always want to look to see if he has insurance on himself or not. Every contractor should have some kind of business insurance that protects them when they go into homes. The personal coverage that you have on your home may not include work that is being done by contractors, which means that any damage done to your home may not be covered by your homeowner’s insurance policy in the event that your handyman does not have his own insurance.

A business insurance policy can be drafted by the handyman in order to protect him against injury, as well as any damage that he does to your home. For example, if you hire a roofer and he falls off of the roof, his insurance should be the one to pay for any medical bills, not yours. If your handyman damages the roof while up there, his insurance should be the one that pays, not yours.

Whenever you hire a handyman, it is important to ask for the insurance policy. You can also ask for the insurance company and policy number to verify that the insurance policy actually exists. In the event that the insurance policy has lapsed, it is no longer valid and a claim would be denied.

Your home insurance may not provide you with contractor coverage because it is mainly for personal coverage. This means that if there was any damage to your home, you could be financially responsible for it. You don’t want to be in a situation where you are paying for someone else’s mistakes, which is why you need to always work with a handyman who has his own insurance.

You can always call your homeowners insurance representative to find out whether there is any kind of coverage for contractors or not. If there isn’t, it is in your best interest to explore the level of insurance that a handyman has before ever allowing on your property.